Saturday, October 9, 2010

“Do you stand on that thing?” Oct 9

Prior to today I hadn’t surfed in almost three weeks! I have been feeling anxious and depressed because of it. I knew that if I didn’t go surfing soon I might just explode. Today I was going to go to SHAWCO paeds clinic, but it was cancelled. It was a gorgeous and sunny day. I could not go back and do homework inside. So, I decided that regardless of if I had anyone to surf with, and despite the fact that my surfboard was in my house in Rondebosch, I would go surfing today! I called a few friends, but everyone was gone at a weekend concert, so I decided that I would trek it on my own to Muizenberg for a surf sesh.

My board was in my room, (thanks to George, who took me surfing a few weeks ago) No one who could drive me today. So, being the adventuring spirit that I am, I decided to haul my board through Main Street to take the train. This entailed walking my nine-foot board through Rondebosch to the train station. This drew a lot of attention, and I felt a bit silly. I reached the train station, and after waiting for 35 minutes, a train came. I barely managed to get my board in before the train started to move again. Once I was in the train I had the task of maneuvering it around all of the people, and putting it against some of the seats. The train was unnecessarily crowded for a Saturday, so this was quite the task. Everyone was really nice about it though, as I apologized to everyone walking by, who had to step around it. The people I was sitting by thought it was amusing that I was bringing this huge board on the train. One man asked what I did with it. I told him that I stood up on it in the ocean - he thought that was funny.

After 45 minutes we reached Muizenberg where I prepared to get off the train two stops prior. After much maneuvering and help from multiple people on the train, I was able to get my huge board off. Taking the train with my board was a definite adventure, one that I don’t think I will repeat. The waves were pretty crappy at Muizenburg - but just getting out in the water made me really happy. I caught some fun ones. The experience was definitely worth it.

Other than surfing, my week has been pretty uneventful since the last time I blogged. (Which was when I met Gerard Butler!!!! Crazy….still can’t get over it :) I have been working on my paper, and plan on finishing it by Monday. Then I will move on to my last paper of the semester. YAY!

Yesterday I decided in the moment to go down to Main to get a haircut. Some friends had recommended this cute Indian woman, named Nadia, for getting a haircut. I went to Nadia and explained that I wanted to keep it long, and wanted a little bit of layering. She went a little scissor happy. She cut my hair pretty short, and put in a lot of choppy layers…Not what I was hoping for, but now my hair is a lot more curly! I just have to remind myself that hair does grow back, and its not the end of the world :) So much for spur of the moment haircut decisions...

2 comments:

  1. Hi cait, Cute blog. I love hearing about your surf adventure, trying to get your long board on the train etc. I am amazed that people along the coast don't know about surfing! (I guess surfnag would need explanation there). What an adventure, but don't surf by yourself. It scares me too much....I am glad your curly hair is coming back...Love you, and can't wait to hear more about your travels... We are reading, and loving your blogs. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlin,
    We enjoyed so much hearing of your adventures. I tried to find this link to your blog earlier but to no avail . This time it is here. Yeah it is so much fun as we look to the long night of winter with less to do. We hope that it is all well and that the adventures are sweet and memorable until you return. It will be good to get back soon and reconnect with every one especially with Lives after her first year. Have as great a time as you can on this experience and let the Lord lead you and he will have his countenance in your life no matter what the experience/people.

    Love ya,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete