Saturday, July 24, 2010

Devil's Peak climb, July 24

Today we woke up early to embark upon the dreaded Devil’s Peak climb. We left after breakfast as a group of 80 ambitious international students, and were led by six guides. We were warned that the hill was quite strenuous, a three hours straight hike uphill, and should not be undertook by people who feared heights. All of the warnings were quite justified. It was completely uphill for the first three hours. We started at the base of the cliff and proceeded to climb all the way to the peak, which was 1000 meters. It was tough, not going to lie. At times I felt like if I slipped I would surely plummet to my death. But, I wasn’t too scared because most of the other girls doing the hike were a lot worse off than me. We walked up the mountain like herded cattle, due to the fact that there were 80 of us hiking a moderately tricky hill. Luckily it was not raining, but it was quite windy. We finally made it up to the peak, after the painfully slow scramble up boulders and walking along sheer drop-offs. (Olivia it would have made you want to cry )

The top of the peak was beautiful! I could see from all sides of the peak the city of Cape Town that surrounded me. (check out the facebook pics!) It was very very high, and I loved it! After eating lunch up on the peak we started our descent down. All I have to say is that the descent down gives Devil’s peak its name. It hurt my knees so bad! Hopefully I won’t be crippled for life. I’m icing them as we speak. The hike took the whole day, and needless to say I am extremely exhausted. But overall I would say that the hike was well worth it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment