Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Journey Begins, July 17

Destination has finally been reached: Cape Town, South Africa. It took me nearly 48 hours to get from San Diego to Africa, which seemed much too long. Much of the travel stress was due to the lengthy 12 hour layover in Dubai, not going to lie it was a little depressing. Needless to say, I do not desire to watch a movie for like a month, nor eat airport food. When I arrived at Cape Town I was met at the airport by two UCT representatives and three other German study abroad students. We drove back and almost immediately I was off to eat dinner at a local restaurant/bar. After that we went to a local pub called Stones. I have met so many new people in the last 24 hours, it feels like the beginning of freshman year all over, you know one of those situations where you meet a thousand people and remember very few of their names.

The next morning we were bused off to our housing arrangements. I am living in an extremely nice house in Rondebosch. I live on the bottom floor with a grad student named Kate. The other three girls that are from my program live upstairs. The house is gorgeous and has a lovely garden with vines growing up the side of the house, very secret garden-esque. The owner of the house is a retired interior designer, so I’ll let you imagine how beautiful it is. (facebook pics are coming soon :) After we moved in we ate lunch in downtown and then went grocery shopping. I am still having a hard time with the conversions into Rands - a sandwich costs about 50R.

It has been somewhat of a whirlwind for me these past 3 days, but I am looking forward to what God is going to show me and teach me while I’m here. I miss my friends, boyfriend, and fambam a lot. But, I know that this is where I am supposed to be right now and that I’ll have to give it time for me to get settled and find the right friend group. I miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment