Monday, September 20, 2010

I drink Tea, Sept 20

I love the tea here. Everyone in South Africa drinks tea. Tea is served at church, at restaurants, for dinner, lunch and breakfast. There are three types of tea that I have become accustomed to drinking. There is the original black tea (like Earl Grey/Breakfast - similar to US tea), Chai tea, and my personal favorite Rooibos. Rooibos tea is an African tea blend, that doesn't have caffeine (thus perfect for drinking after dinner), and is sweeter than black tea. South Africa was once a British colony, which partially explains their "tea culture." Needless to say, I have fallen back into my tea drinking habits, and have even started to put milk in my tea.

Along with issues of tea is that of eating healthy. I have decided that I need to start eating healthier (aka, I must give up my Cadbury chocolate eating addictions, regardless of how amazing the chocolate here is). I am trying to eat healthy and go running/exercise everyday. It is hard to eat healthy though when you are cooking for yourself - but I can do it! As for today, I think I will go running. After I go running I plan on writing my dreaded History of African Dance Essay. I am taking this class for pass/no pass, so I'm going to see if I can produce a very mediocre essay in only one day. But seeing as I'm keen to go exercise before it starts raining, I might postpone the essay writing and go for a run. ("Keen" is my favorite South African lingo. I like to use it often in sentences, and it is one of many words that I will be taking home with me :)

3 comments:

  1. Tea. I need to discover British tea, that rooibos tea sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Spenc, you have to drink tons of tea over in England, its like the tea capitol! :)

    ReplyDelete