Monday, September 27, 2010

“Mexe-Beans” and SA Post Office Ransom Notes, Sept 27

Today has been an eventful but unproductive study day. I woke up at 8 am and went for a run around the track. I have been running every morning, and it is getting a lot easier to wake up. I am really enjoying it. Today felt like I was sleeping in, 8 am is the latest I have woken up in weeks! When I got home I showered and headed off with my 300 lb suitcase full of laundry to the Laundromat. “Wash ‘n Web,” the two in one Laundromat and Internet Café was ridiculously crowded for a Monday morning, but I was able to get both of my loads washed and dried with little problems.

While my clothes were washing I did my grocery shopping. I always go to Pick ‘n Pay first and then to Woolworths (the expensive and amazing health foods store :) I have been craving Mexican food for over 2 months. Thus I decided to try to find some ingredients to make burritos or quesadillas or something. Unfortunately all of the tortillas were out. I purchased “Roti” which is tortilla like Indian food wraps. Then I went to the canned veggie aisle. The only canned beans they had were baked beans. South Africa does not like black beans or refried beans apparently. Next I turned to the one foot Mexican spices/salsa portion of the shelf. And to my surprise I found two cans of “Mexe-Beans.” I bought some chili powder in place of the beloved chipotle spice I normally like to use. I finished my grocery shopping and went back to put my laundry in the drier. After my clothes dried I headed home to test out my South African Mexican food cooking.

I made a roti-quesadilla for lunch. The Mexe-Beans were more like baked beans without the tomato/sweet sauce, but they worked. My quesadilla was ok, considering I used Roti as a tortilla substitute. Needless to say I CANNOT WAIT to be back in Cali where I can eat and make Mexican food everyday without any trouble!

After lunch I folded my laundry and procrastinated by cleaning my room. Monica (our houselady) came to my door and informed me that I had a package. It turns out that the South African Customs is not as ridiculous as I once thought. My package that my mom sent (consisting of some used/new clothes) was being held for a ransom of 900R (over 120$). After days of trying to reach the customs dept by phone, I finally got through. They told me to send it back with a letter explaining the problem. I sent a letter to customs and my package was sent back to be reassessed. It arrived today and I only had to pay 25R (about 3$). I was so excited. It felt like Christmas! Thanks mom!

And now I am back at home, listening to good music while blogging. The sun has finally come out, and I think it is here to stay :) I have my door open and the chilly wind is blowing in. Anuk, Hanli’s poodle puppy, keeps running in and out of my room and trying to eat my toes. She is a pretty cute puppy, despite the fact that she is a poodle. But alas, I think it is finally time for me to stop procrastinating and to work on my last Tut Assignment. After this paper, I only have one more dance paper, a 2500 word Memory and History research paper, and a 3500 word Medical History research paper. I have four more weeks left of classes. YAY! I can’t wait for finals to start (finals last almost three weeks), and for it to get warm so I can go to the beach everyday :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear about the package. I'll make you some enchiladas first thing when you return.

    ReplyDelete