Saturday, August 14, 2010

Footlong Burrito, August 14

I haven’t been up to anything too exciting this week. I went to class, procrastinated on assignments, went surfing, grocery shopped, and eventually did some homework. On Friday night I went to the student Y HUB event, where I got to hang out with the friends I made last weekend. We worshipped and heard a talk on “Is Jesus the Only Way?” It was pretty rad. Oh, and I signed up to play piano on the worship band. I’m excited to get the opportunity to learn how to play in a worship band, and to get to know the others in the band better :)

Today I volunteered for SHAWCO for my second time. We went to the same township, but this time it was a lot more organized. I was given the task of weighing and measuring all of the kids that were to be seen (about 35 of them total). It was fun, and I got to interact with a lot of them through this. It was hard to weigh and measure the babies, though, seeing as we only had a “stand on top” scale, and a measuring stick. After weighing the patients, I went and observed what the other doctors/med students were doing. I got to see them diagnose and prescribe treatments for a lot of patients. Some of the stuff I saw today was infantile staff infection, fungal infections, boils, infant asthma, and the effects of fetal alcohol syndrome. (Mom, there were also OT’s working with the kids, it made me think of you :) It was hard to see the medical problems that some of these kids had due to their living environments. I really enjoyed the experience though, and cannot wait to become a doctor, so I can help kids like these.

Needless to say after SHAWCO I was exhausted. On the way home we stopped at this hole-in-the-wall Indian food place, called “Sunrise.” I ordered a chicken curry burrito thing. It was literally the size of Subway footlong, and made me miss Mexican food so much! (They don't have many ingredients for cooking Mexican food, its killing me). It will probably take me two days to eat, haha. After that I went home. I took a nap today for the first time since I’ve been here. (Shocking, I know!) Tonight I plan on going to my friend’s double birthday party. And that’s it for now!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some amazing opportunities and experiences! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete