Sunday, August 29, 2010

Surfing with… Whales (?) August 29

Today is Sunday. I went surfing with Bryce at Muizenberg. We missed the train, and had to wait 45 minutes for the next Sunday train to arrive. Luckily, I had my book with me, so I read while I waited. When we got to Muizenberg the waves looked very disappointing, but since it was sunny, and not too windy, we decided we would go out anyways. There weren’t too many surfers out because it was the middle of the day and pretty blown out. I caught a few super fun waves. We went in after about an hour though because it was so mushy and blown out. When we were waiting for a train I saw something huge jumping out in the ocean. I could not tell if it was a whale or a shark…it was probably a whale though, since it is whale-breeding season. It was so rad! I’ve never seen a whale jumping in the ocean before, and to think that I was surfing with it :)

Kate told me that September is whale-breeding season. She says that Hermanus is the best land whale-watching site in the world. You can hike along the cliffs and see the whales below the cliffs with their babies. There is the Hermanus Whale Festival in late September that I really want to go to. It would be super cool to go kayaking with the whales.

After surfing today I went to Common Ground Church. It made me miss Flood a lot! It is a very college oriented church, which made me miss my Upper Room friends, and the community I have back in SD. But I am so thankful for God’s faithfulness, as he has given me a new community to be a part of while I am here :)

Tomorrow I will be giving a presentation in class on the Rwandan Genocide (super depressing topic…) and then after that I will begin my last paper that is due before break. This paper is for my medical history class, and is about Sister Henrietta Stockdale and her contributions to South Africa nursing…kinda dry. I don’t know how I will write 7 pages on her. But after that is done, then I can start preparing for the Botswana safari! yay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment